You wake up in a coma most mondays and that Friday Mocha as a treat turns into a Monday morning Mocha to get you through the pain of having to go back to work. There is something demoralizing about getting back to the monotonous daily routine of work.
Especially when your boss starts talking about fitting a trampoline on top of a company van at lunch and that you are going to help....I'm sorry....I am going to what? What trampoline? Oh your next door neighbors? Sure I will help...oh wait you didn't even ask me...you just assumed I was helping...that is right...free will doesn't exist in this workplace does it? NO SENSEI! (gratuitous Karate Kid reference). So the best laid plans of mice and men for running at lunch give way to you and 2 other co workers helping your boss in a gratuitous scene of brawn and pansieness (yes I like to make up words). The brawn being lifting a 15 foot diameter trampoline onto the top of an 8ft high van (hey I am short) and the pansieness being me dropping the trampoline like a hot potato while running away from a wasp that thought I was attractive enough to take a sting shot at, leaving the other studly men scrambling to balance said trampoline above their heads.
What is it that motivates people to take advantage of friendships and associations like that? Or better yet what motivates us to not speak up and say "Hey I didn't sign up for this!" Is it a fear of honesty? Fearing that it would depict one's disloyalty to their company? It is an interesting area of workplace politics and dynamics at work.
It is much like marriage I guess...only marriage is better because the more you encounter those types of situations the better you learn to communicate with your wife or husband and learn to manage expectations and assumptions to reasonable levels. In the workplace it just results in people increasingly sliding into senility, even at 30 years and younger.
That is probably why when you get out of college and into the real world you wonder where all the psychos come from. They weren't in your classes at college...but they are your co workers now...great...where do I sign up for group therapy classes to help me realize that "I" am the crazy one and they are the normal ones?
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment