I started off the morning right by getting out there with K on a bike ride around our usual spot of Haines Point, why they named that place after an underwear brand is beyond me, but maybe because it smells like underwear after a good hard rain from all the pollution in the Potomac? The gate was closed as usual and we went around the first time no problem. After the gate it was pure chaos, tree limbs all over the road, tree branches looking like they had firecrackers in them exploded all over the roadway, trash cans blown into the street, and one rather large tree that didn't stand a chance against the 70mph winds that hit us yesterday evening with a bout of apocalyptic type thunder storms.
It was so bad last night in fact that metro service got disrupted due to power outages and downed trees over the tracks. But that is another story all together.
We quickly met up with one of the fast guys from NCVC that graces us with his presence during the good weather months. He is an older guy, super nice and super fast. I have heard him referred to as "The General" because he is an Army general but that is all conjecture at this point. We quickly devolved into a quick tempo for a mile or two then brought it back as we dodged trees and trash cans in the road. Not once did I fear crashing. Then it happened....
Coming around the closed gate for the 2nd time (or third I can't remember) I hopped the curb after saying hi to Nic (Long time no see!) and was fine but noticed this time around the ground was a bit softer and wetter for some reason. I hopped down the curb with my front wheel on the other side of the gate and then my rear wheel was a little to parallel to the curb and sunk down into the soft ground and got wedged between the curb and the ground and BLAM! Over I went down into the asphalt....son of a #&%*!!!
I got up dusted myself off...bike looked okay but it was a hard fall for going so slow. I have some contusions on my hip and elbow but the scrapes aren't bad at all, they don't even need band aides. I continued to ride with little discomfort so I figured there shouldn't be any problems (crossing fingers).
We continued to ride and The general was asking if I was okay, yup it is mostly my pride that stings! We got another good interval set and caught Kirsten off Guard a bit. I pushed as hard as I could into the 15mph headwind at 25mph pulling the general along and pushed for a good while past my comfort zone until the general went past me to give us a little boost. Unfortunately that boost proved to be my excuse to take it back down and catch my breath and let him ride away. At least I pushed past the point I wanted to quit, so I got that going for me...which is nice!
Legs were definitely more tired today so I took that as the last set and sauntered home barely being able to turn over the pedals.
Got into work and it was a rather uneventful day. Reserved K and I's cabin for our weekend in Deep Creek Lake for Laura and Kyle's wedding and some killer training/prep for Savageman and talked to the bike shop and distributor about my Power Meter in my Black Beauty...the Merckx Bike! They seem to have the same problem with Ergomo that GITA did in that they aren't providing warranty product in a timely manner, so only time will tell how this one works out. Guess it is time to put the old crankset back in the bike and just ride it to ride!!! How did they do it in the old days without data is beyond me!
Kirsten doesn't want to swim tonight so I guess we are going to cook dinner with our new local farmer baskets she is getting at work...should be interesting if she ends up bringing home the smelly soap that was included in the package....smelly in a bad way...not good...at least that is what she told me!
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment