... what might happen on a 95 mile ride.
We rally the troops for a ride to Sugarloaf. Departure time 6:30 am from the Hill. And what do you know, we are almost on time! The ride starts easy enough - luckily the RAAM team is still recovering from their record breaking ride. The morning was overcast, even a little foggy as we got to Potomac. We were all waiting for the heat and sun to emerge but luckily we made it through most of the day without the much anticipated burn.
We took the usual route out to Sugarloaf, winding through Potomac, where I got a flat about an hour 15 min into the ride. Then out to Darnestown. We take a right on Black Rock Road and I hold back while Eric, then Phil then Patrick come roaring down the hill past me. And just when we get to the steepest, tighest corner I see all three guys are not going to make the turn and Patrick's bike is shaking, his back wheel skidding. I brake hard and see Patrick fly superman style over his handlebars in a total wipeout. Phil is able to stop before crashing and Eric ends up in the grass by the river. We all gather in the parking lot of the old Black Rock Mill to assess the damage. Turns out Patrick's back wheel got stuck in the mud as he entered the parking lot, inertia throwing him off the bike. Although he has a deep gash in his elbow and a deep bruise and superficial scratches on his right quad, for the most part he was pretty lucky.
It was still before 9 am and we were unable to find someone with a car that could come get him and luckily just then a man and his dog came walking up the path. Patrick asks for a ride to the intersection of Falls Rd and River Rd so someone can pick him up there - at least it's closer to society and easier to give directions to. Turns out Jim gave him a ride all the way back to Capitol Hill. Super nice.
The rest of us continued our ride, which was mostly uneventful. We had a couple of long stops where clearly none of us really wanted to get going again. But we did and it was great for the most part. Then just as we are coming by Eastern Market metro (less than a mile from our house), we see Patrick. At this point it is only Laurel and Chad and I. We all slow and wave, and then wham. I am on my side, unable to clip out and Patrick is helping me up. Apparently Chad came to a quick stop and I came to an even more abrupt halt when I ran right into him.
Luckily we were going slow and there isn't much body damage. And the bike is fine too.
Tomorrow we are off to NY to visit Brian and Malia and then Monday we have our much anticipated bike fitting at Signature Cycles. Chad has built this up so much I am expecting a monumental shift in my comfort and power on the bike. Bike fit report to come.
Safe journeys,
Kirsten
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ouch. Sorry I missed this ride. Not.
I'm riding long tomorrow with some guy I've never met before. Seriously.
I'll miss you guys. Enjoy NYC.
Post a Comment