Monday, June 9, 2008

I am so "hot" right now....

No no no, not in the conceited way that you would think someone that was conceited might say "I am hot..." and not in the Paris Hilton way either...I mean LITERALLY HOT!

Summer decided to take a nose dive on our little town of Washington DC this past weekend. Saturday was an awesome day for a bike ride (as Kirsten's post below describes) but she failed to mention my literal limping back home the last 10 miles. I was so hot and dehydrated that I couldn't get going on the bike without my HR running so high with very little effort. At one point I stopped at two different stores and drank 4 liters of water within 30 minutes and it still wasn't enough. You know it is bad when you stop at one of the hot dog vendors on Independence Ave to get water and rest. While chugging the water and just standing there my Heart Rate was at 140....RESTING!!!

In retrospect I probably had a very mild case of heat exhaustion. After the fact my little bike computer said we had a 78 degree average for the first half of our 100 mile jaunt and....get this....99 FOR THE 2nd HALF!!!! Holy crap...that is a lot of heat! Such a shame too since my legs felt great but my body couldn't keep up, oh well...that is the way it goes!!!

Anyway, the weekend was a bit tumultuous due to the heat and bike follies that ensued. Coupled with the fact that our A/C died on us Friday night...a premonition of things to come for the weekend? Saturday night was a bit uncomfortable but not so bad. Sunday we had the windows open and all the fans blaring and it wasn't so bad inside the house and on the porch in the shade. A nice hot jog (with some subsequent sunburn) and a refreshing dip in the cool (albeit murky) waters of the Hains Point Pool gave way to a tasty Harris Tetter Sandwich, a loaf of flaxseed bread, and a beer on the front porch with the best wife ever and TJ (yes they are different people...he he).

With the heat there aren't many options when you don't have a working Air Conditioner. Especially when Kirsten has book club, or so she thought! She went all the way to Laura's only to find out it was NEXT weekend! Well that burned up some time enough that going to the movies and getting some A/C time wasn't an option (unless I wanted to see Sex in the City...uhhhh NO, sorry sweetie...). All the movies worth anything started too late to have us home by Kirsten's bed time of 9pm...but in this heat it probably didn't matter!

Long story short the A/C guy called us back later yesterday evening and said he could make it this morning around 8am. So Kirsten and I got up early (who could sleep when the room temperature was 90 degrees anyway!) and sat and had iced coffee (thanks for the French Press Eric and Christal!) and toast at the kitchen table while waiting for him to show up. It was one of those moments that seemed so mundane but the most satisfying at the same time. Sitting there drinking our coffees while chit chatting about the weekend and life all the while smiling, laughing, and looking into each other's eyes...it was a moment that I will remember for a long time and reminds me why I love her so much.

Anyway, getting back on track ;) The A/C guy finally showed up and it took about an hour and a half for him to square everything away and replace a couple things that weren't working and the A/C was finally up and running like new! You could instantly notice a difference and within 45 minutes the temperature came down 10 degrees in the house!! WOO HOO!! We are back in business.

Thank goodness...because another night with 92 degrees plus, soaking wet sheets from sweating our butts off, and the fans just recirculating hot air just don't sound like how I want to spend my evenings thank you very much!

1 comment:

WishWasFaster said...

Suck it up! You complain too much!