Monday, June 2, 2008

Catching up on Life

Chad has moved on to real life, but I'm still a bit dreamy. All I could think about today was what a fantastic weekend we had. Especially since the last week has been whirlwind. Catching up on work and sleep, unpacking, writing thank yous, trying to get in a workout… We also had our first dinner guests as a married couple for the two hour season finale of Lost!! Luckily our friends Rachel and Chris are also Lost junkies. Without them putting pressure on me, I’m not sure I would have stayed awake. 11 pm is way past my bedtime.

Friday night we rolled out of town to provide kayak support to two swimmers at the 7.5 mile Potomac River Swim at Point Lookout MD. We managed to get some decent shut eye despite camping only to wake in the morning to the howling of the wind in the tree tops. Although the water was choppy, we were optimistic that the swim would go on until we saw Chad’s colleague Dave shaking his head. The river swim had been downgraded to a lake swim and both the swimmers we were to support decided not to wade around Lake Connoy. Apparently it is very shallow in some parts and the distance is 3 or 2 miles depending on who you ask.

So we changed clothes and went for a great run around the park then packed up our gear and were back in DC by 11 am. We spent the rest of the afternoon lazying around the house, doing little chores, grocery shopping and listening to the thunder crack and the rain pour down. It was a fantastic afternoon, followed up with a low key evening to celebrate a friend’s birthday.

Sunday we had a great ride with TJ. Out to Seneca via McArthur, Falls Rd, Norton Rd, S. Glen, Ellsworthy and then back via River and Persimmon Tree Rds. It was our first real warm weather ride and it was awesome! We rode about 60 miles in 3 hours. The rain from the previous day added a freshness to the air and I was loving the smells out in the countryside. I have no idea whether I was really smelling honeysuckle or not, but it sure smelled like it. And then we came home and I pretty much passed out immediately. I needed that nap like no other. Lucky for me Chad was in a shopping mood so we hit the hardware store and crate and barrel too. I love weekends like this!

No comments: