Totals for the weekend: 97 mile bike, 6 mile run, 1.2 mile swim, 200 degrees. All eventful in their own way.
First, an early morning ride to Sugarloaf. We were lucky to get 2 hrs of endless fog and high 70-low 80 temps and then for another 30 minutes or so we'd experience bouts of sunshine when the temperature would soar. And then it was over: the sun was out and we were riding in 95-100 degree weather. Crazy, insane hot. We don't know if it is was good or bad that we were half way through our ride before we realized it was a little crazy to ride in that heat.
We kept a steady pace out and back until we were about two miles from Georgetown when we got into trouble. We got passed by a roadie doing 4 minute intervals and jumped on his wheel, passing another woman. The roadie finished his split and we carried on, though he warned he'd be starting up again and sprinted ahead of us. We had a nice little pace line - Chad, Alexi and I and this other person. Unbeknownst to me the woman was passing on our left just as I realized we were catching up to the roadie and I turned to say something to Chad just as we were coming up on a crater-sized pothole. I avoided it, yelled hole and then heard a scream behind me. My HR jumped to 1000 and I turned around as quick as I could. Thank God Chad managed to say upright but he was chasing down his bottles as I came around. Apparently he was boxed in by the woman so couldn't move enough and somehow avoided crashing. We sat on the side of the road for a few minutes collecting all his gear and assessing the damage when the roadie wheeled up to check on us. We took it easy all the rest of the way home, but we all agreed that the biker we caught up to had good kharma and great energy. So whoever you are, thanks! :)
Our AC is down so recovery at home was slow going. And Chad was totally motivated so we ended up cleaning the floors and bathrooms. I threw a temper tantrum when I stubbed my toe for 80th time moving furniture around. Which is how it ended up with Chad downstairs and me upstairs.
Today we started our run late. And it was hot. 30 min in we were both ready to be done. We ran down by the Nationals Stadium and crossed on the South Capitol Street Bridge to run along the Anacostia trail to Penn Ave. We ended up walking two shady sections of the trail. It felt like we were walking forever but I stopped my watch for the walks and Chad kept his going. It was almost 3 min of walking. Jeff Galloway would have been proud.
And a quick 2000 meters at the Hains Point pool was the perfect weekend cool down. Now it is time for a nap on the couch. Happy weekend!
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment