Saturday, August 30, 2008

Welcome to Kenya

I know, I know - first day in Nairobi and I'm on the computer. But as usual I woke up super early and waited for the gym to open to get in some exercise. I did do 10K in about 50 min - not super impressive, but the treadmill was set at 25 min maximum so I had to stop and restart 3 times to get that in, including a 10 min warm up/cool down. But I did learn I don't have to wait for the gym to officially open. We'll see how that jet lag treats me. :)

Anyway, long day Friday. Flew out Thursday at about 6:30 pm, arrived in Amsterdam at 8 am and shopped a little and waited in a security line again for my 10:15 flight to Nairobi. Interestingly, I never left the airport yesterday. However, each gate has its own security screening point so if you buy water in the terminal you can't take it with you on the plane. If you buy a bottle they will seal it in a plastic bag so you can take it with you, however, without the sealed plastic bag you have to drink it or dump it. Luckily I figured that out before opening my liter of water while standing in the hour long security line. Otherwise the same 3-1-1 rules we know so well in the US, apply in Europe.

After a huge breakfast I'm now waiting before I call my colleague here to see if she's going out. If not maybe I'll catch a cab to the National Museum, which is not far from my hotel. Oh yeah, am staying at the Holiday Inn. Everyone so far has been super friendly and nice, especially our company's only employee here, James, who picked me up at the airport.

More later. I'll be flying out of here on Monday so I have the full weekend to get over trauma of flying for a full night and day. :)

No comments: