There are two separate highlights to this story - 1) On our 4 hour drive to the start of Mountain Mama Century in Monterey, VA, Chad and I got our first flat IN THE CAR. Unfortunately I didn't have the forethought to take pictures while Chad and Phil changed the tire. But here is a glimpse of the damage.
2) Phil, Laurel, Chad and I decided to give Mountain Mama Century a run for the money. It starts and ends in Monterey, about 200 miles south west of DC. And it climbs 9 mountains in Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland. It's a crazy ride. The four of us caravanned out, enjoying Cracker Barrel for dinner, a snooze at the Holiday Inn in Staunton and then an hour drive to the start of the ride. It was pouring and lighting and thunder were crashing on the mountain tops as we drove towards the start. The ride was beautiful and eventful, considering we got the flat about 20 min into the drive.
The scenery was beautiful. All the pictures are from our drive in and out. We didn't bring any electronics with us because of the wet roads and the fact that we forgot plastic bags. We passed through some really small towns, but only passed a couple stores or gas stations. This is definitely not a place you could plan a route and count on stopping every 20 miles at a store to reload your drink. The volunteers were great and the food was plentiful.
The climbs were all tough, but the one that hurt the most was the last one, which starts going up at mile 95. There are probably 20 switchbacks; just when you think you have reached the peak, you see the next corner ahead. Chad and I were climbing together for most of this. There was a group of motorcyclists hanging out at one of the scenic overlooks and I asked if they had a tow rope. I was mostly kidding; in large part because I'm not sure I could stay upright by getting pulled by a rope. And then, finally, we began the descent back into Monterey. Chad quickly sped by me and I didn't see him again until I pulled up to the car.
After cold showers and pulled pork sanwhiches we were on our way to recovery. Except for that 3 hr stop at Wal-Mart. We both had red eyes, sunburn and that exhausted look you get when you've had a fantasic, but really long ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment