Thursday, July 3, 2008

Shenandoah or Bust! I guess it was Bust...sigh...

So our camping trip came to a screeching halt this morning, and I heard it too! The weather this weekend looks to be completely uncooperative and camping in the rain just isn't my idea of fun...if it was a shower or two, okay that would work...but a 60% chance of Thundershowers all day Saturday and 40% chance on Friday and Sunday all day...well...even if the tent is dry plans would be foiled so we decided it was better to cut our losses (although K begrudgingly agreed). So it is on to Plan B. On the agenda is:

- Ride 100 miles Friday
- Ride 40 miles Saturday, run 30 min Saturday
- Run or ride Sunday - maybe even another 40-30 set
- Swim Saturday and Sunday (assuming everything is closed tomorrow)
- Recaulk the guest shower
- Be set up to recaulk our shower early next week
- Vacuum floors
- Dust
- Weed in the garden
- Write Final wedding thank you's
- Go through the list of thank yous and clean up piles of cards and gift receipts
- Go to Bed Bath and Beyond
- Go to REI
- Go to Sears
- Host a nice little Brunch at our Place on Sunday (aka KNC's Breakfast Buffet)
- Go for a little Hike even if it is out at Great Falls

So it is a nice little Sunday, maybe go to Home Depot, not sure if we'll have time....j/k (movie reference!!!)

Looks like our weekend got packed in an instant as soon as we decided to not go camping as Kirsten came up with 90% of that list ;) She impresses me with her motivation sometimes, but it is a good balance when she is focused I am not, so I just go along with whatever she comes up with and vice versa when I am completely focused. That is what marriage is all about right? Capitalizing on each others strengths and supporting them? Well in any instance it makes me love her even more when she gets all bossy and focused...no seriously...IT DOES!!!

Anyway, last night's swim was hard, for me at least. We knocked out 2640 and I called it quits since I was struggling. I have realized that when my attitude degrades over a swim I should just call it day since the rest of my workout falls apart. At least I was in the pool and worked out so the distance becomes irrelevant at that point. Just getting in the pool helps. But I do feel like I lost the confidence and strength I had from 3 weeks ago when we knocked out 7500 yards in one week (a two year high for us!). Kirsten was strong as always and completed the end sprints with a smile.

We ventured over to the Xtreme4 party afterwards to catch up and have some BBQ (like 4th of July we wouldn't get our fill!) and see the RAAM team together and watch a slide show of their race. Pretty funny that after 2 hours the photos hadn't moved beyond even the start of the race yet!! That is what taking 7000 photos does.

I was dying of thirst from the swim but the punch Eric made was very refreshing and went straight to my head. I only had a 1/4 Red Cup full of it and was feeling tipsy, but the stuff was like paint thinner! Needless to day I woke up this morning aching all over and not sure it was from the swim or the punch...probably both.

Kirsten was determined to sleep in this morning while I was determined to get my fill of biking at RFK Stadium's North East Parking Lot again since Hains Point is closed. Every 4th of July the Point gets closed because that is where they launch all the fireworks from and when they get delivered they store them down there as well. The place becomes a fortress and riding down there isn't an option.

The group was bigger this time and we decided to do Bridges where one person sprints up ahead of the group and then another rider follows suit. After the 2nd rider catches up to the first they ease back to let the group catch back up. It was interesting as Phil would catch me after a half a lap and I couldn't catch him to save my life. I would keep the same distance from him but just couldn't get that extra 1mph to catch him. He is insanely strong but good to know he was working as hard as I was to catch up just to keep me away, at least so he says as sandbagging is a common occurrence in our group ;) I could definitely feel the impact of the new fitting this time out as I couldn't really hold my tempo efforts for very long. I chock it up to using new muscles that I haven't been accustomed to. Time will fix that but overall the fit feels great and I feel strong (not sure I am stronger yet...). It would have been fun if Kirsten was there but all things being equal I bet she is glad she slept in...maybe I will be able to take advantage of this long weekend and at least get a nap or sleep in later than usual...oh wait...I forgot about the list above. There isn't time for anything else, not even time to update the blog! ;)

- Chad

1 comment:

Terri & TJ said...

A pretty nice little Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7SuY3T_U6c&feature=related

I'll do one!

Once it hits your lips... it's so good.