Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Confessions of a true grump

Ok, I admit it. I’ve been grumpy at just about every workout lately. A notable exception would be the trail run. Trail runs make me sooo happy! We didn’t push the pace, in fact we took most of the down hills as recovery. Maybe therein lies the key to all my happiness. Keep it steady, keep your chin up and just get it done.

As to the root of my grumpiness – I don’t like to be grumpy just for grumpiness’ sake. But it is hot out – all the time. We are increasing our mileage. We are doing all our rides at faster than race pace (my race pace that is). And our runs have been less than stellar due to our desire to sleep in on the weekends. And swimming – well, we’ve been busy so that hasn’t been going that great either.

And I know we are tired because we both fall asleep on the couch a lot. Welcome to IM training. And therein lies the reason for grumpiness. I may consider doing all my recovery workouts solo, or at least sticking to my guns and making them recovery workouts, not camouflaged hammer fests. There are probably some other changes I can make to keep the pressure at bay on days when I really don’t need to be having a breakthrough workout.

We’ve got four more months of training ahead. We have to keep it fresh, make it fun, and take the ups and downs in stride. We are going away for a wedding this weekend and then the organized centuries and training weekends start. I’m sure the training groups will change somewhat as IM Canada participants start to fade out soon, then IM Wisconsin, and finally IM Florida. And then it will be the few, the proud, the silly for signing up for an IM in late November!

Have fun out there!
K

PS

Sunday: trail run – about 9 miles in 1hr 23 min; 2000 m swim
Monday: bike commute; swim 2900 yds
Tuesday: tempo bike 24 mi; 1hr 30 min

No comments: