Friday, July 18, 2008

More on recovery

Here is what my week looks like:
Monday – swim 1000 m (20 min)
Tuesday – easy run 6.1 mi (49 min)
Wednesday – easy bike 21 mi (1 hr 15 min)
Thursday – bike commute (1 hr total); easy 1 hr walk in the evening; 20 min swim
Friday – easy run 6.5 mi (54 min), easy swim 2000 m

The run today was horrible. It was 80 degrees by the time I left my house at 7:30. Unfortunately I didn’t look at the thermometer or I would have at least brought fluid, if not decided to skip the run altogether. And by the time I was really ready to quit, the office was only a little further than the nearest metro. I was running pretty slow – even walked a little. And I took just about every short cut I could find. My run to work is about 6.9 miles and usually takes about 55 min. So you can see today I was not having a good day.

The HP pool was packed when we got there at 6. And it was 90 degrees out (in the shade). I almost bagged the swim; with 6 or 7 people in each lane and none moving without disparate swim speeds. But we ended up getting in and after the first 800 m things cleared out a little and the rest of the swim was nice.

The perfect ending to a Friday. I brought my pasta salad and a beer out on the porch to eat while I waited for Chad to come back from a run. After the second mosquito bite I decided Tour de France would be better company. So let me rephrase that first sentence. Pasta salad, beer and a brownie. The perfect ending to a Friday!

No comments: