Thursday, July 31, 2008

Back in the swing of things...and the swing makes you tired for sure.

So it was back to work as usual on Monday after the flight and it was sure tough as ever. The chaos of the weekend caught up to me about 2pm at my desk where I started dozing off. Kind of like one of those dozing off fits that you have in college/high school where all of the sudden your eyes close and you do that kind of "nap jerk", which Kirsten does EVERY time she is falling asleep, which is usually within seconds of her head hitting the pillow...there aren't many things I am good at but I would LOVE to be good and falling asleep immediately after my head hit the pillow. Anyway, it was pretty bad to the point where I was sure that someone saw me, but at least didn't say anything.

We were scheduled to swim on Monday night but I made the call...no way...I want a nap or just to relax. So relax is what we did. We ended up making Lasagna for the week (mmm leftovers!) and some banana bread to quell our sweet teeth (yes that is the plural) as well. We called it an early night, of course Kirsten called it earlier than I, and headed to bed. For whatever reason I always have to let Kirsten go to bed before me...well okay that isn't entirely true...it is just she goes to bed at 9:30pm and I can't reason with myself to even start thinking about bed until 10pm (seems like a good cutoff no?) I mean I try and try and try but just can't. Especially when sometimes we get home so late that we end up eating at 9pm or close to it that I can't justify eating within an hour of bedtime (eating by 7pm is my ideal time, but alas our schedule is definitely prohibitive of that at times, more often than not!). So I do the best I can and am usually in bed by 10:30 with my lovely wife ;)

But back to the lecture at hand...(Gratuitous Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg reference). Tuesday morning I was greeted with a groggy sense of physicality and haze that people normally pay for, but was simply just fatigue and general lethargy, so sleeping in was the call, only after we both had gotten up and gotten ready to ride, but alas the bed was saying "Look at me...I am warm, cozy, and will rejuvenate you for the day ahead...sounded like a good deal to me! Kirsten agreed and it was back to bed until 7:30 or so, pretty late for the both of us! I ended up knocking out 2100 yds at the pool near work and felt sluggish but was glad I got the swim in (which is what I need the most work on!) with the intention of heading down to Hains Point for an afternoon ride, meeting Kirsten down there of course.

It takes me so darn long to get there from work that by the time I made it down (6:15 or so) Kirsten was done with our intervals! So it looks like I was riding solo for this one. The first two loops were fine, the intervals are way harder by yourself than with the help of the Peleton, so much so that sprinting a lap with them was less taxing than a 5 minute 100% effort. But I plugged away every lap my mouth getting dryer and dryer from the heat and low humidity. It was on the 3rd lap and final interval set that I noticed the wind had picked up significantly. I mean it was howling and blowing me side to side...in my face the entire way and made everything exponentially tougher...but it was what I was looking for. A friend of mine in the early spring was riding with us and was pushing into the wind on the sprints and taking it easy with the tail wind...after I asked him why (Duh...because it is HARDER!) my mentality changed all of the sudden. From that point on I made it a point to do all my intervals and hard efforts into the wind...it can only make me stronger mentally and physically right? So that is what I did...but also told myself since we were running long in the morning that a brick wasn't going to happen. The ride back was even hard with the wind blowing me around.

Ended up running into one of my friend Paul's friends Pam who is a die hard cyclist. She told me about a local Criterium race they are planning in downtown DC for the fall and then I exchanged information about Endure24 of course...have to get the word out! She told me Paul was in town so we talked about doing a recovery ride on Sunday and ending at a coffee shop to make it easy. Always good to see old acquaintances out on the road. So it was left overs, Family Guy, and some of the office before hitting the hay pretty early for the long run in the morning.

So this was our first long run of the year and we were kind of dreading it, but in a sick sick way I was looking forward to it...it would be a test of my body since I have been having aches and pains here and there and the first long run since my knee problem in October. Kirsten gave you the run down in her post below, the more I think about that guy running between us the more I get mad about it...but best to keep your cool...I mean he was running with his hand in his pocket...and a hoodie in the blazing DC Summer....anyway, the run was pretty unventful but reminded me of what these runs felt like back 2 years ago when we were training for Ironman Florida...sweaty, hungry, blistery, slimy, salty, humid, aching, and slogging along at the end...and we do this for fun? Ummmmm....maybe...I forgot...what are we talking about again? Oh right...We made it back in one piece but I could see Kirsten's mental state deteriorating as we were coming back towards the 14th street bridge. I tried to be encouraging but at the same time just let her be, I mean she doesn't have the nick name "K Dog" for nothing! Stretched out after a well deserved shower and that seemed to keep the tight hip and knee at bay and is a definite part of the routine now.

Work was a good call since I could just sit down the entire time and not have to walk around as it was pretty painful for a while, but I was also ravenous! Nothing could satisfy my hunger and I ate all day long. Lasagna leftovers were the right call for lunch, mmmmmm. We then headed out for a 2500 yard swim at DC Tri Club Masters, which sadly may be coming to an end soon. The swim was pretty rough as my back was actually sore/tired from the run. That long of a run and keeping good form takes its toll one way or another...but we managed to make it through the entire 2500 in about 50 minutes or less which seemed pretty fast, but I was proud I didn't quit and I was even more proud that Kirsten tacked on 400 at the end to make it 2000 total since she got there late due to work and delayed metro rail! She impresses me daily with her determination and drive...how can you not admire her! I know I do...constantly ;)

Anyway, nothing special last night besides some needed rest but I couldn't sleep very well and kept waking up every hour and staying awake for 15 minutes every hour...don't feel tired, but wish sleeping through the night was possible. I guess being a light sleeper is good if the cats ever find another mouse in the house! The ride this morning was nothing special, but I did snap at TJ, which I felt bad about afterwards. We wanted to do a recovery ride so I wanted to keep my effort moderated at a certain level. Kirsten was happy to draft off me since I was going a little harder than she wanted to go, but wanted to stay with me (LOVE YOU!) and a couple other people jumped on the back of the Chad train for the morning workout. The first couple laps were awesome as I was maintaining a low wattage but still cruising at 22.5-23mph with a low Heart Rate as well. I was feeling good and then on the 2nd lap TJ jumped on board and went straight to the front and right in front of me...well I lost it and started yelling at him "NO NO NO NO, I AM DOING A MODERATED EFFORT AND DON'T WANT TO DRAFT OFF ANYONE!!!!" He didn't respond immediately so I got pretty irritable again and yelled again in a justifying sort of way...well sorry TJ...I just had a workout in mind that I was trying to stick to it and I didn't want any variables in the work out other than weather related. I wasn't biting on any of the surges he was doing and surely didn't want to draft off anyone. So anyway, sorry again...next time I will be nice about it ;)

So anyway, I am pretty pumped about the Mountain Mama Century this weekend. The weather looks perfect temperature wise, the scenery is going to be awesome, and ever since the Tour of California we did in February when we climbed the beyond category climb of Mt. Hamilton I have been yearning for more mountain climbs...well this weekend should satisfy that urge given the route profile of the Mountain Mama Century. More after the weekends conquests are over!!! Onward and Upward (with a lot of downward too on the descents!)

No comments: