Thursday, November 20, 2008

Welcome to Tempe!

We're here! It's warm and sunny! The flight took FOREVER! Maybe it's the nerves, maybe it's the excitement, but whatever it was, time dragged on and on. Funny thing is that I fell asleep while we were still parked at the gate. Our departure was delayed 45 minutes because a row of seats was broken and needed to be bolted down. I missed that whole delay thing and woke up as we were starting to pull out of the gate. We made up time on the trip and ended up getting in only about 15 minutes late.

We saw Becky from DC and her entourage at the gate. We met her doing the master's swim program at CUA this summer. And then we met another woman on the bus to the rental car location. She's from Albany and said she's been on her training for the last month. That sucks. Oh, wait, we've been on trainer almost that long too! Never doing such a late season race again. Never.

We registered for the race, barely making it into the tent since neither Chad nor I brought our USAT cards. Doh! I ended up having to pay $10 for race day registration even though I already have a membership. I guess what's another $10 when this whole journey has cost literally thousands.

Anyway, we're here. Chad's taking a nap to recover from a headache. We can't wait to start the day tomorrow. Thanks for all the well wishes! Now that we are sourrounded by hundreds of other fit bodies it'll be hard to distinguish excitement from nerves. I guess that's what Ironman is all about!

1 comment:

Terri & TJ said...

I know that for me, seeing all the "beautiful people" was kind of intimidating on Day One. Getting in the water on the bike and out on a short run neutralized the initimidation factor.