Saturday, November 15, 2008

Taper Kirsten-style

I have been taking taper a little too seriously. We had our last long ride November 1. Our last long run either shortly before or shortly thereafter. I can't remember. All I know is that I have been sleeping almost 9 hours a day since then. Obviously I needed the rest. I still need the rest. Chad is out running right now while I drink tea and update our blog. Granted, the blog needed updating.

Is it possible to take taper too easy? If so, I'm doing it. I'm taking 2-3 days a week off; and I've only been doing 1 workout a day. At least I'll go into race day well rested. I'm a little nervous about all this time off. During taper most people feel antsy and want to workout more. Because of the lessened workout schedule many people have a hard time sleeping. I can't say that about me. However, many people find they are ravenous during taper. I can say that my appetite has been insatiable. Like all that sleep makes me hungry or something.

Truly I think this sedate period set in on November 2 when the time changed. Now it is light by 6:30 in the morning but dark at 5 pm. I haven't gotten up for a workout in a long time. I find snuggling under the covers much more fun. You've probably never met someone as excited as I am to get this race over with so I can go back to the business of sleeping.

We had brunch today with TJ and his wife Linda. With the exception of Linda, we all overate. And still wanted more. Eggspectations in Silver Spring is a place we used to go to on a regular basis. But now that we are Hill Easters I guess we make brunch at home a lot more often. Good thing too because we might have all gained two pounds today.

We're off to a baby shower tonight. I like baby showers on Saturday night because they end early and I can be in bed before 10 pm. Do you see the theme here?

Chad is feeling much better, by the way. He can still feel the stone floating around somewhere. But we did do a trainer ride this morning; he's on a run now; and he vaccumed the house like a champ today. He did not however take me shopping, other than a quick trip to Babies R Us. Now that is a fun place to shop and so easy to drop a couple hundred bucks. We'll stay away from that for a while. For now it's all about focus on the race. Keep your eye on the ball. Breathe, visualize, execute.

No comments: