Monday, November 17, 2008

Visualize

Today I wrote an email to my family with my race goals. I'm sorta scared to write them here even though it won't really affect the outcome of my race. Whether you know my goals before or not, race day will come and go and I'll get the job done and finish (hopefully!). The conditions on race day - namely heat and wind - will probably be the biggest variables. If it's too hot I may not drink enough on the bike, which will affect my run.

My plan is to be somewhat aggressive on the bike - my goal is 5 hr 45 min (about 19.5 mph average). I know this is possible - but only if the winds don't shift and leave me with too much headwind, or that the sun and heat don't exceed 80 degrees and I don't hydrate well enough to keep from cramping.

I'm hoping I can average 9:30 min miles on the run. Again - in training I've kept the pace at around 8 min miles for the long runs. But assuming I need some bathroom breaks (meaning I hydrate well on the bike) and walk some aid stations, I should be able to average an easier pace. My goal is to run a 4 hr 10 min marathon. Heat and nutrition will play a big factor. Dehydration was a major issue in many of my long training runs; I was not drinking enough and I'd end up with severe stomach cramps and nausea. I need to make sure to take in enough fluids and I'm still debating whether or not it makes sense to carry some fluids on me so that I can sip every 5 minutes rather than at every aid station (approximately every 1.25 miles). I'll have to judge the weather once we get to Phoenix.

And as for the swim... well, let's just say I'm hoping not to finish too much off my IM Florida time from 2006, which was 1 hr 18 min. If I can finish within 2 minutes of that I'll be psyched!

There, now I've told you my goals. It didn't hurt so bad. Now send good vibes and be on the look out for #2182.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Good luck to you. I have been following your blog/training for awhile and am in awe of your progress and improvement. I did IMAZ in April '06 and it was hot (a dry heat!) and windy on the bike. My only advice - drink, drink, drink on the bike. You're going to have a great race. Looking forward to following the race online and reading your race report.