Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Update for Tuesday

Paul and Sarah and I did a lot of walking and people watching on Sunday and then they helped cook a meal that Chad and I would never venture towards. Maybe. We bought the best filets Safeway has to offer and some Alaskan King Crab. When I found out they catch the crabs, pull their legs off and throw the bodies back in the water I didn't want to have anything to do with them. Environmental concerns aside, I did try it. I can do without crustaceans in my diet. The filets were delicious and I'm thinking I should add more red meat to my diet.

Chad sent an update from West Virginia. It's cold and dark. This morning he went swimming at the local YMCA - it was dark when he started and after an hour of swimming it was still dark on his way back to the hotel. I am super impressed with his determination, particularly since he did a treadmill run last night after dinner. I guess the start of the countdown to race day has got us both scared. I did a hill run yesterday at lunch and then swam in the evening. It was one of the most frustrating swims thanks to the fact that I was sharing the lane with a guy using fins that was much faster than me. And then a woman wanted to share our lane but I was lapping her every 100. The other guy got out after about 10 minutes - he couldn't go a length without having to pass one of us - and when the woman switched over to using a kick board so that I was catching up to her every lap we split the lane. That was good for about 5 minutes when a woman asked to jump in. She was only a little slower than me and then the kick board was replaced for the breastroke. I will admit I touched her feet a couple times waiting to pass and she definitely hit me at least twice with her arms in her attempt at breast stroke. When she finally got out I didn't say goodbye. At least I figured it is good race simulation, though hopefully I'll find some fast feet and be chasing rather than getting caught up in the melee.

Now I'm mentally preparing for tomorrow's run. Stay tuned for updates...

No comments: