Thursday, October 16, 2008

Breaking through is hard to do

Why don't breakthrough workouts feel good while you are doing them? Why is that only later, with perspective and hindsight do you realize you had a great workout? One of those workouts that will make you tougher, stronger, faster? And I don't mean in the "if it doesn't kill you it will only make you stronger" theory. Breakthrough workouts are hard and they are usually long (what workout isn't long when training for IM?), but ultimately they provide a mental and physical boost that will make your next workout that much better. I'd love to have a breakthrough workout every time I sweat, but it's the mental aspect that leaves much to be desired so often.

Let me tell you about the latest long run. Two hours and ten minutes. By myself. Totally solo. And in the afternoon, my least favorite time to run. But there really wasn't any getting out of it because we slept in; still recovering from that cold. I left work a little early and ran across the Key bridge to the C&O Canal. I love running on trails - the packed dirt makes for less pounding, but you have to work harder in other ways. Dirt (and other "soft" surface trails) absorb the impact of footfall and spread it out across a wider surface, whereas asphalt and cement allow you to push back and conserve energy. And trails have roots, rocks and uneven surfaces that force you to use more of your body to maintain balance and form. So while the trail aspect of the C&O made the run more difficult, mentally I was focused and enjoying the terrain. I hit the C&O at about 6 min in and decided to run out 45 min before turning around to head home. I ended up hitting the end of the trail at exactly 1 hr 20 min and proceeded along the Rock Creek Parkway towards the Lincoln memorial. At about 1 hr 30 min I go to the memorial and felt my legs burning; I just wanted to stop. I did stop for a second to refill my water bottle and when I started again I convinced myself it was just mental. No way I should be that tired after 90 min. I shortened my stride and increased my cadence.

And before I knew it I was "racing" someone along the mall, closer and closer to home with every step. And then I got to the top of Capitol Hill and again mentally I was ready to finish, but I looked at my watch and saw there were just 10 minutes left and I celebrated by putting my head down and concentrated on maintaining the pace. I hit 16th St at almost exactly 2 hours 10 min and walked the 1.5 blocks home. I was spent. I put it all out there.

After a quick shower Chad was kind enough to give my legs a massage. My stomach was upset for a while afterwards, as it sometimes is after a hard run, but I made some scrambled eggs for dinner and had a high-calorie recovery drink (not Coke!) to renew my energy. It hurt to go down the stairs. I was still dehydrated by the time I went to bed. This morning I woke up, tired and groggy and sore. And if Chad had hinted at sleeping in I would have been grateful to keep him company. But we got up and I went downstairs - and it didn't hurt. Sure, my legs are tired, but they don't have the OMG I ran more than two hours and can't walk feeling.

Chad has not posted in a while, but he also did 2 hours 10 minutes. It wasn't his first long run of the season, and it wasn't his first solo long run, but he says it was hard. So maybe it wasn't breakthrough, but it is motivational. After all, if he did it, I had to do it. Got to keep up with the Jones'!

No comments: