Once again I turned off my alarm and slept later than I wanted, or maybe slept as late as I wanted...more likely the latter than the former...Kirsten has become an expert at getting me up and out of bed over the past couple of years...manipulation I will call it haha! She has learned the way of the Lewis' and is extremely adept at guilting me into getting up. So after departing an hour later than we wanted to, I had relegated myself to running 10 miles this morning and then running 10 miles at lunch...but as the run got underway I started feeling pretty good. The temperature was around 52 degrees and for the first time since April I had to wear Knickers, a base layer, and a hat...ON A RUN! I was dressed perfectly though as the wind was kicking around and would cut through my clothes with a typical fall chill.
Kirsten is still getting into the swing of things so we took it easy and I was glad since it gave me time to get my head in the game of the run. After our usual short break 20 minutes or so into the run I proposed running along the waterfront into Georgetown and back around reverse from what we usually do. Fall weather and a change of pace was a great change! It was at that point that I figured I could go 2 hours without too much problem since the weather was cooperating with our run. Kirsten wanted to get a little longer of a run in so suggested we run our the C&O Canal trail for about 15 minutes and then 15minutes back. We chatted as we ran out on the trail and it felt more like a fun Fall Run rather than a typical Ironman workout which was nice. We parted ways in Rosslyn at the end of the Key Bridge since she needed to get to work (or was at work technically since we were right there!). At that point I realized I would be getting in close to 2.5 hours anyway and was feeling pretty good. I picked up the pace a little after we parted ways and just settled into a zone and turned off the world around me and just ran.
I got to the 14th Street Bridge and decided the run would be a little short so took a detour to end up at the Lincoln Memorial instead of halfway down the mall as I would have if I followed the usual route. My legs were feeling great and a lot better than the week before. I just kept plugging away and decided to run on the north side of the Washington Monument since there were some murals set up in front of the Natural History Museum that I had only seen the back of for the past week or so.
As I was passing the Washington Monument I came across not one...but TWO people I knew! I do have to say that even though I live in a large city, Washington DC is very much like a small town since you always seem to run into someone you know when you are out and about on a run, visiting a museum, on the metro, etc. etc. etc. I ended up running into Kip who offered to run the rest of my run with me since he didn't have any real plan. Then on the way down the slight hill from the monument I ran into Megan, but only for a brief "Hi...are you avoiding work!?" and then back to the grind of the run.
Kip helped me push the pace and definitely pushed me up Capitol Hill near the end of the 2.5 hours. We talked a bit about things and chatted back and forth but since I hadn't brought any water or food with me on the run I was starting to get a little thirsty (read cotton mouth) and my Heart rate was starting to top out on the hill and wouldn't come down after that. Got home at around 8:50am or so and was going to be extremely late for work but at least we got the run in and I don't have to run at lunch anymore.
It was good to knock out the run and not have to worry about it...only one more 2.5 hour run (even though today was 2:21) in the schedule before IMAZ but that one is going to be challenging since it will be during my manager's conference in Charleston WV, Kirsten won't be there, and it will probably be a lot colder out there. The only good thing potentially is that the Wednesday I am scheduled for the run we are due to have break out sessions, which as of right now I am not scheduled to attend which means I can have the afternoon off to do what I want...and a 2.5 hour run may just be in the cards!
Stay tuned as Kirsten and I get ready for this weekend's race simulation on the Eastern Shore...clothes, nutrition, 112 mile bike ride, and a 10k run that will be exactly like race day...only without the swim ;)
More to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment