Monday, October 13, 2008

Finishing the weekend strong

I caught a cold from someone at work so I rested up by not working out on Friday to be fresh for a long weekend of training. I don't have to work today!!


Saturday was a relatively short ride out to Falls Road (40 mi) followed a little later by our longest swim of the year 3500 yds. While the swim felt long for both of us and we were definitely tired at the end, our arms and shoulders stayed in tact and we're motivated to bring it up to 4000 yds this week. I personally am motivated to swim at least twice during the week before attempting another long swim over the weekend. Doing just two swim workouts a week is not going to cut it. I can't keep up with Chad unless I use my flippers. He has gotten so fast!


Sunday TJ met us at our house for an epic Sugarloaf ride. We rolled at 7:30 am in crisp air - barely 52 degrees when we started. But the ride was gorgeous. The foliage is definitely out and the reds and yellows on some trees made us all smile and enjoy the scenery. Our legs however were feeling the hills. 95 miles of up and down. It was worth it though. Despite how tired we feel after a ride like that, it's always motivating to put it in perspective. Was last weekend's workout harder than yesterday's? I don't know. Mentally it definitely was. Physically - I'm just not sure.


One rather remarkable thing about the ride is that I got the hiccups on Independence Ave on the way home. They were making me laugh hysterically, which is very hard to do while riding a bike and trying to maintain a straight line. I finally had to pull over take a deep breath and get control. Sort of.


Chad and I did a 30 min brick. He was a true champ, staying back with me since I couldn't breath very well. All the snifling and sneezing may have wracked havoc on my diaphragm so I couldn't take a full breath. Lots of hyperventilation and a side stitch kept my pace to 9 min miles almost the whole way. After about 25 min I finally started to feel a little better and was able to run it home at a decent pace. St. TJ met us on the way back carrying sandwiches and chips. Perfect!


Here are some pics from last weekend's epic ride. Notice there are no pictures of us actually working out. You'll just have to take our word for it.

No comments: