Spent my last day touring around outside of Nairobi. Drove to overview of the Rift Valley - which is more than 600 miles long - and to a town called Naivashi, about a 45 min drive from Nairobi. We went along a windy highway up and down the mountain that was built by Italian POW during and right after WWII.
Here's a picture of an IDP camp. People displaced by the civil strife that followed Kenya's recent elections.


The most dangerous form of transportation I saw - many many people hang on for dear life and travel up the hills hauling all kinds of stuff on their bikes. This guy has just a back pack but there were many that were full of crates, bags and all manner of goods.


James, our sole employee in Kenya, who took me around the sights. This is at a gift shop overlooking the rift valley.

At the animal orphanage all are pretty tame and used to human interaction. These cheetahs purred so loudly when pet. The guy asked if I wanted my picture holding one. Um - no thanks! While I'm not sure how I feel about these animals in cages, many of them have some sad stories. One of the monkeys is indigenous to Uganda but was found in the Nairobi airport. The smuggler fearing detection just left it in a box.
At the gift shop in Naivashi. Everything is hand carved from soapstone, ebony and other wood. The souveneirs are quite expensive so I didn't bring too much back.



No comments:
Post a Comment