Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Recovering

We would be remiss if we did not do a sincere shout out and THANK YOU to Chad's family. Brian and Caryn volunteered at a water stop on the run and no doubt were met with all manner of athlete - the nice ones, the fun ones, the mean ones, the demanding ones. Their particular encouragement was very helpful to both of us. And in general, we both thought the volunteers were awesome. I tried to thank as many as I came into contact with, but that doesn't really say enough.

All of Chad's family were up before dawn to join us for the wait at the waterside before the swim. They were on their feet all day, yelling encouragement, worrying over our status, and generously pouring all their energy into the racers. We have some pictures from Brian to prove that they were all over the place on the course and we'll post soon.

And as if that weren't enough, when we got to Tucson, we spent most of our time laying on the couch, shopping, eating, napping, and anything else restful. We got hooked up to R&R at its finest. So by the time we boarded the plane to return home we were both feeling rested, relaxed and ready to face the week ahead.

Chad did a trail run on Sunday; I skipped out because I woke up with a headache and I figured, what the hell - I'm recovering. This morning I set my alarm for 6:05 intending to join some friends for an easy morning run. I reset it as soon as it went off for 7. And then I proceeded to drive Chad crazy by hitting snooze every 7 minutes.

So recovery is going really well. Anyone worried that we wouldn't take time off should rest assured that we're gaining weight, sleeping in, going out to socialize and getting the recovery job done. And that's a good time.

No comments: